Are there really any health benefits to turmeric? Umm, yeah, there is.
In fact, there is more scientific evidence for all the awesome health effects of turmeric than for ANY other spice! So, here it is:
1. Studies have shown that turmeric can lower artery-clogging LDL cholesterol
2. It's good for your gut because it increases the flow of bile that breaks down fats, thereby helping digestion.
3. Turmeric lessens stomach acid production, so it can be used for heartburn (reflux) issues. However, some people may find that spices in general make reflux worse; others find that it helps with digestion. (so, still listen to your doctor)
4. It can relieve the inflammatory soreness of people with rheumatoid arthritis and improve how insulin regulates blood sugar.
5. Alzheimer's researchers call turmeric the "smart spice" due to its neuroprotective properties. In fact, Curry-loving cultures, such as India, have the lowest rates of Alzheimer's disease.
6. Turmeric is a top anticancer spice that helps the body's natural ability to kill cancer cells.
PRO TIP: Combine your turmeric with black pepper
Unfortunately, turmeric eaten alone is very poorly absorbed. But, combined with black pepper and the health benefits of turmeric are enhanced more than 1,000 times!!! So, for example, you can make a salad and sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric, 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper, and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, which even further enhances absorption.